Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Fredericksburg
What Is Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB)?
Heavy Bleeding or Menorrhagia
Many women experience heavy menstrual bleeding at some point in their lives. But for one in four women, every cycle is heavy—and that’s not normal. Doctors call this condition “abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB)” or “menorrhagia.”
When is heavy menstrual bleeding too heavy?
Although every woman experiences her period differently, most doctors define a normal, healthy period by a few standard criteria.
Is abnormal uterine bleeding limiting your activities?
New guidelines from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists suggest that if heavy periods and irregular menstrual cycles negatively impact your life and you believe they are a problem, you should talk to your doctor. Based on your condition, there are questions you might want to ask your doctor or surgeon. The following questions are designed to help you find out more information about your particular condition and the kinds of treatment that may be right for you. The more informed you are, the more comfortable you’ll be with the decision you, your family and your doctor make together.
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- What is the cause of my heavy periods?
- What course of treatment do you recommend for me?
- If I take hormones, will my condition improve?
- What are the least invasive treatment options for heavy periods?
- Will treatment affect my ability to have children?
- What are the potential risks associated with our treatment options
- How soon after treatment can I resume normal activities?
- Can this treatment be performed in your office?
- Will I need to continue to use contraception after treatment?
- Can you take care of this problem or can you refer me to a doctor specializing in treating heavy periods?
- If I need a hysterectomy, is there a minimally invasive option?
Treatment Options For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
There are 5 different types of treatment methods that the physicians of Elite Women’s health offer our patients.
- Hormone Therapy
- Dilation & Curettage (D&C)
- Global Endometrial Ablation
See a comparison chart of the different methods available for treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding. The chart contains a description of each method listed above, as well as advantages, disadvantages, and whether or not you are a candidate. We recommend printing the chart to make reading the information easier.