Family Planning Fredericksburg
Contraception and family planning is a very important part of a woman’s life. Determining when and how to start a family are important decisions.
By offering Family Planning, Elite Women’s Health can support our patients’ decisions about when, or if, they would like to have children by offering education, counseling and birth control methods.
There are many birth control methods and techniques available today. No one method is best for everyone at every stage of life. You can choose a birth control method to match your personal needs. It is important to think about what method will be best for you.
You should feel comfortable talking these issues through with your healthcare practitioner. Our practice is committed to guiding and advising women on these critical questions throughout her lifetime.
What are the different types of contraception?
There are four main types of contraception. They include:
- Barrier method – will block sperm from entering the uterus and fertilizing an egg.
- Hormonal method – controls the hormones in a woman’s bloodstream, preventing her from ovulating. These can be prescribed as pills, patch, vaginal ring, implants, or injectables.
- Long acting reversible contraception (LARC) – IUDs with and without hormones.
- Permanent methods – total sterilization.
What contraception do you offer?
Our practice offers a wide variety of reversible contraceptive methods including:
- The pill
- Hormonal patch
- Vaginal ring
- Depo Provera
- IUDs- copper IUD, progesterone IUD (Mirena®), low dose progesterone IUD (Skyla®)
- Permanent Sterilization – Tubal Ligation
We can also discuss the pros and cons of other types of contraception available without a prescription, including condoms, sponge, the rhythm method and spermicides.